Women lawyers are practicing in commercial litigation in growing numbers, yet these professionals continue to face a unique set of challenges and obstacles. Support and strategies to overcome these can be difficult to access.
Time is scarce amid all the competing priorities and commitments. It is hard to find the time to invest in our own career. Yet we all recognize how important it is to:
- build new connections
- learn from mentors in our own and other professions
- create the opportunity to identify and focus on skills we would like to grow
- allow ourselves to develop and implement business plans
Yes, there are many opportunities to attend presentations and conferences.
But when we return to the office, we’re swept up in the work that piled up in our absence. The inspiring binder of course materials is forgotten and shelved. The business cards go in a drawer, along with networking opportunities and the new contacts we made. We often fail to follow up.
A space and place for women developing their careers in commercial litigation to come together to learn and support each other.
Gatherings to speak freely and confidentially about:
- Challenges encountered in day-to-day practice
- Strategies to overcome these
- engage with senior women lawyers about their own experiences practicing in commercial litigation
- connect with leading professionals sharing tips to help you develop your presence as an advocate
- develop a relevant and likeminded referral network of colleagues who help and support each other
- have the support of a coach for developing and implementing your own personal business plan
The Mastermind Group for Women in Commercial Litigation invites:
- 12 women lawyers between 4 and 9 years of call
- each from a different law firm
- each with a commercial litigation practice
Beginning in February 2018, the Mastermind Group will meet bi-monthly for “fireside chats” about topics such as:
- Dealing with difficult colleagues, opposing counsel, and clients
- Raising your level of confidence and establishing your unique presence as an advocate
- Developing a strong practice management foundation and resilience
- Overcoming the challenges unique to women practicing in commercial litigation
- Business development and profile raising strategies for growing a thriving practice
A senior lawyer or other professional will be invited to attend at least four of the six gatherings to share their well-earned insights and perspectives.
Each member of the Mastermind Group will receive my support as their coach for the year, including:
- An individual business planning session at the beginning of the program
- Three additional one-hour coaching sessions
- Touch base emails and phone calls between sessions
In addition, Mastermind Group Members will be invited to attend two one-hour presentations in 2018.
- January/February – individual business coaching sessions
- February – Mastermind Group launch event
- March – Individual coaching
- April – Mastermind Group meeting
- June – Mastermind Group meeting
- Summer – Individual coaching
- September – Mastermind Group meeting
- October or November – Mastermind Group meeting
- November/December – Individual coaching
- December – Mastermind Group final celebration
Between the Mastermind Group sessions, members will be encouraged to meet with each other for informal chats and to further develop their relationships with one another.
Cost of the 12-month program is $295/month plus GST. First payment is due January 31, 2018.
(Program fee does not include the cost of food and beverage at events.)
I appreciate that life circumstances can change, so members of the group are free to withdraw from the program should the need arise.
To apply to join the Women in Commercial Litigation Mastermind Group 2018 please email me at email@example.com with your short answers to the following questions:
- Firm or organization
- Year of call
- In order of priority, please list your top three reasons for joining Mastermind Group 2018.
Registration will close once the group reaches 12 confirmed members.
Would you like more information? Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a phone call.