Balance Health Planning Time Values

The case for slacking

Written by Jill Farmer

The holiday are particularly painful for perfectionists.

There are just so many darn details to obsess over.

And, since procrastinators are often perfectionists hiding in tardy people’s bodies, that can mean a whole lotta stuff gets backed up and stacked up until the last minute.

So, just for this month (and then the rest of your life) experiment with the 80% rule.

That simply means giving yourself (and those around you) permission to dial it down a little.

If 100% is perfect.
80% is good enough.

In my experience, using the 80% rule doesn’t result in lower quality, it just means things are SIMPLER.

I’m a huge proponent of simple.

Because complicated is often just the fear brain trying to make things good enough for some unknown judge outside of ourselves.

There’s apparently a saying by some cardiologists,
“Better can be the enemy of good.”

Apparently, some doctors who got 80% clearance of a blocked vessel in cardiac cath procedures sometimes went back in for the remaining 20% (to get it perfect), and the vessel ruptured.
Not good.
So, let done be better than perfect this holiday.

When you start feeling pressured about something, simply ask yourself if you can back it off a little.

What would 80% look like in this case?
Or even 60%?

You’ll buy yourself a lot of time and peace that way.
Lots of love,


About the author

Jill Farmer

I love helping people get more meaningful work done in less time. I am the author of "There's Not Enough Time... and Other Lies We Tell Ourselves" which debuted as a bestseller in the Time Management Category on Amazon. In 2015, The Washington Post named me to its 21-Day Time Hacker team. I travel the world delivering keynotes and seminars for top corporations and organizations. I am also a wife and the mother of two teens and I have the two worst-behaved dogs in the universe. You can reach me at or visit my website

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.